Gauger & Swingly Inc has a solid commitment to conserving energy and natural resources, and building an affordable, comfortable home. The following approach has allowed us to achieve these commitments:
NY ENERGY STAR Designation
30% energy savings over conventionally built homes
Energy Star (www.getenergysmart.org) rated homes mean: lower utility costs, increased comfort and indoor air quality, decreased air pollution in our environment and probable higher re-sale value in the future.
Gauger & Swingly homes are built to meet the high-efficiency standards encompassed in the stringent NY ENERGY STAR evaluation. Our quality home specifications include enhanced insulation, better air sealing, mechanical ventilation, performance tested heating and cooling systems, and high-efficiency appliances, lighting and windows. This translates to lower energy usage, less demand for foreign oil, and significantly reduced energy bills for our homeowners.
- Insulation: Our homes feature greater insulation levels that standard building code requires. Wet blown cellulose insures an efficient application. Additionally, our foundations have a built-in insulation feature. Our insulation standards translate to comfort, improved air quality, and reduced energy bills for our homeowners.
- Foundation: Research indicates that 20% of heat loss through the basement occurs at the top 24 inches. That’s why we use Superior Walls (www.superiorwalls.com) foundations; they feature a continuous layer of insulation bonded directly to the concrete, resulting in high energy efficiency to help you reduce energy costs. They are also much quicker to install, resulting in a shorter build time for your dream home.
- Windows & Doors: Gauger & Swingly utilizes NY Energy Star recommended thermal windows which feature low-e coatings, gas fills and insulating spacers to reduce heat loss in the winter, heat gain in the summer.
- Ventilation: We recommend the Rheem 90 Plus (https://www.rheem.com/products/residential/heating-and-cooling/) gas furnace to our clients, which feature NY ENERGY STAR’s “BEST” rating through the use of heat-recovery ventilation; the recapture of heat that would otherwise be exhausted and wasted. These furnaces typically yield fuel efficiency of up to 94.5%, reducing the need for fuel and saving the customer money too.
In addition to our Energy Star designation, when designing each home you will work closely with our management team and architect to discuss superior construction options to improve efficiency and comfort.
Gauger & Swingly’s Standard Specifications include:
- R38 at the roof deck reduces the amount of heat that reaches your attic. Also, by insulating at the roof deck you eliminate the roof venting which is not only unattractive but also one source of roof water penetration.
- R21 Blown Cellulose in the exterior walls is a method in which insulation is blown in moist and completely fills the 2X6 cavity. This method keeps your energy usage down by protecting the interior of the home from the exterior elements. Whether it is the dead heat of summer or the chilly nights of winter the interior of your home will remain at your desired state.
- Andersen Windows and Doors is our preferred window manufacturer and is Energy Star endorsed. These windows and doors feature exterior frames that do not absorb water and greatly reduce rot.
- Tyvek Wrapping is a moisture and air barrier which helps maintain dry walls and maintains their R value.
- Rheem or equivalent air conditioning units operate at a minimum of 13 seer-High efficient units.
These are just a few of the many methods employed by Gauger & Swingly to help improve the life and performance of your home.
In addition to our Energy Star designation you can also choose to incorporate the following into your home design:
- Larger Lots: Gauger & Swingly endeavors to minimize the impact on the environment when selecting land for building lots. Many of their lots have been over one acre in size, and all are over 0.4 acres. Existing trees, ponds, and creeks are left wherever possible to mitigate harm to the environment and to maintain the natural beauty of your lot.
Our pristine Woodard Estate approved building lots are 3.0 acres each!
- R-410A: This planet-friendly refrigerant will not be required by the EPA until 2010, but Gauger & Swingly is utilizing it now because it does not deplete the ozone layer.
- Low Voltage Light Fixtures: Gauger & Swingly recommends low voltage light fixtures to achieve more energy efficiency. MR (Multifaceted Reflector) bulbs offer major advantages over the standard PAR halogens. They produce a lot more light for the wattage, are smaller than the PAR Halogens, 85% of the heat generated by these bulbs is dissipated to the rear of the bulb and means that you can have the fixtures much closer to what you’re displaying. Also, MR bulbs are available in several different beam angles.
- Hot Water Recirculation throughout the home allows immediate warm water for showers reducing waiting for the system to purge the cold water out first and wasting water during this time.